Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

(F) (W) Facebook to get One Time Passwords (OTP) using your cell

Updated...






Hey FB users !!! Wanna give FB your Cell knowing their Privacy position? Just to have another way to enter a password??? I think they just want to SMS you Ad texts... Or worse...

PayPal has this now and soon Google Doc users as well will be able to enable their Cell phone to act as a second factor (something I have) along with the something you know (username and password) to logon to Facebook.

I HIGHLY recommend it for PayPal and Google Docs as well as banking, but FaceBook????

My first experience with giving FB my Cell was to get signed up for premium texts that charged my Cell Bill $5 per month...because I wanted to play a game...

I just don't trust FB enough to add my cell number to their database and allow them to harvest that data for who knows what marketing, gaming, texting scam someone comes up with...

The recent Group rollout that allows your friends to add you to a group without approval is a perfect example of a new feature and ZERO user control.. And Privacy first mentality.. Until it's too late and you get SPAMMED and added to Groups you didn't want to begin with..

Be weary FB users... If you want a stronger password.. Use SuperGenPass or LastPass or both as I do to provide stronger passwords.

The idea is this.. If you're on a computer you don't trust, such as a kiosk or in a cafe, and you don't want to enter your password, you can request a one-time password (by texting "otp" to 32665 from a US mobile phone). The OTP is returned as a reply text message. Then user can then log in from any computer and the OTP is good for 20 minutes.

So now your real password never gets entered on the 'untrusted' computer. Why you would ever use an untrusted computer is beyond me, but hey.. We all have a need at some point...

Read more here:PC Mag article on Facebook OTP